New Pennsylvania Realty
Farms ~ Country Estates ~ Historic Properties

Historic 54 Acre Schuylkill Co. Farm Sold

This beautiful 54 acre farm is situated in quiet West Penn Township, Schuylkill County in the foothills of the Blue Mountain. The magnificent stone mansion is almost 4,600 sq.ft. and dates back to the 1760s. The land was originally granted to Mark Christ from the William Penn Family. The charming stone farmhouse was most likely constructed while Pennsylvania was still an English colony. It is a wonderful example of an early Pennsylvania farmstead. Enter the home through the original 1760 entryway and front door into the main hallway with original stairs & banister, original flooring and woodwork, and high ceiling. The first floor features a large living room with stone fireplace, den, enormous entertainment/bar room, formal dining room with open stairway, modern kitchen, half bath, and numerous enclosed porches. The second floor of the residence houses 5 large bedrooms plus a 21x26 grand bedroom with real wood paneling, large upper hall, and full bath. Unique amenities of the home include solid wood floors and many beamed ceilings.

The residence is only a small portion of this estate. The Lizard Creek, a state stocked Trout Stream, winds though the entire length of the property. This gives you your own private fishing retreat. Flowing into the stream is a mill race with stone walls and outlined by exquisite landscaping. Other buildings include a historic 18th century 44x60 log bank barn, 28x57 six car garage, 31x21 storage building, and 25x23 pavilion with stone fireplace/grill. There is 2800 ft of road frontage along Lizard Creek Road and a long private driveway leads to the home. The land is predominantly wooded, but does have several large open, flat fields. The property is ideal for all types of hunting and outdoor activities. It is enrolled in PA Act 319. The farm is close to many mountain resorts including Blue Mountain Ski Resort, Jack Frost/Big Boulder, Camelback, whitewater rafting areas, and is 10 minutes to the Appalachian Trail. Routes 309 and 100, I-78, and the Pennsylvania Turnpike are provide a short commute to the Lehigh Valley, Philadelphia or New York City. Enjoy fine country living in this pastoral setting of this truly historic farm.

Price: $439,000

Historical Notes:
The history of the mill begins on June 21, 1751, during the reign of George II of England, when the property was surveyed and granted to Mark Christ by the proprietary agent of William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania. The original deed or warrant is dated 1767. During the French and Indian War, this property was located very close to historic Fort Franklin.

The property changed hands around 1760 when Wilhelm Hoarst took possession of the tact of land. In 1767, Michael Ohl assumed title to the land and dividend it into two sections. He named them Ohlsburg and Solitude. Ohl held the property during the War of Independence when it was used as a tavern. It was the only pub in what was then Heidelberg Township. During the Revolutionary War, the property remained untouched and unaffected. Also during Ohl's tenure, the property was used by traveling fur traders who started to make the mill and tavern a regular stop on their rounds. Itinerant peddlers and circuit riding preachers as well as settlers moving west made the tavern a frequent stopping place. Farmers in the locality became regulars to the mill to have their corn ground into meal. Wheat was not ground until sometime later when the colonists began to prefer fine wheat flour to the coursers corn meal.

From its early beginning, the stone building served as a home for its owners, a grist mill, and tavern.
Ohl later sold it to Daniel Kistler, who came from Lehigh County. When the Kistler family settled on the property, the work of running the mill and farming the adjacent land took all of the family's time and the tavern was discontinued. As modern mills, powered by steam and later electricity began to process grain, the ancient paddle wheel ceased to move and the mill closed, giving way to the march of progress. The Kistler family and their descendants retained the mill and surrounding grounds until after World War I when a bank acquired the property.

Around 1941, the property was acquired by Mr. & Mrs. Earl W. Yetten. They removed the frame section of the mill and incorporated the stone portion of the mill as part of the house. They did extensive renovations to the property along with some of the colonial revival features of the house while preserving all of the old charm. One example of their preservation efforts was to retain the beautiful 1798 colonial archway and trim on the doorway which was installed by Michael Ohl and still bears the date 1798. This property is truly a remarkable example of American colonial and federal history.

Front View of Farmhouse

Landscape of Farmhouse

Lizard Creek

Front View of Farmhouse

Front View of Farmhouse

Side View of Farmhouse with Addition

1798 Michael Ohl Entryway Trim

Side View of Stone Mill

Landscape View of Farm

Six Car Garage

Historic Bank Barn

Stone Picnic Pavilion with Stone Fire Place

Additional Building

Flagstone Patio From Entertainment Room

Stone Wishing Well

Unique Millstone Sculpture

Field View

Large Flat Fields

Dinner Bell installed by the Yetten Family

Sandbar in the Lizard Creek

Jettys in the Lizard Creek

Ever Flowing Lizard Creek

Stone Mill Race

Exposed Stone Mill Race

Original 1760s Entry Door

Open Staircase in Main Hall

Main Staircase in Hall

Second Floor Landing and Hallway

Large Living Room Fireplace

Living Room

Sitting Area in Living Room

Colonial Revival Window in Living Room

Modern Kitchen

Modern Kitchen

Modern Kitchen

Modern Kitchen

View of Dining Room and Sun Room

Dining Room

View of Dining Room and Sun Room

Open Stairway in Dining Room

Chestnut Beamed Ceiling in Entertainment Room

Entertainment Room

Original Stone Wall in Entertainment Room

Bar in Entertainment Room

Overall View of Grand Bedroom

Grand Bedroom

Grand Bedroom

Grand Bedroom

Main Bedroom in Original House

Main Bedroom in Original House

Main Bedroom in Original House


Additional Bedroom in Original House

Additional Bedroom in Original House

Additional Bedroom in Original House

Additional Bedroom in Original House

Call Gary L. Coles or Jonathan D. Coles at 570-386-5000 for color brochure with many more photos.

Gary Lloyd Coles, CRS, GRI.
Jonathan David Coles, BS, GRI, e-PRO
New Pennsylvania Realty, Inc.
103 Mush Dahl Road

Copyright 2014 New Pennsylvania Realty, Inc. All rights reserved.